Finding the Beauty in the Old and the New

"A story on rediscovering the art of handwriting through a quill pen"

Word of the Day - Quill

Image from Irongate Armory

As a child, I was fascinated by the quill pens used by ancient writers. I would often imagine myself dipping a feather into an inkwell and writing stories of my own. But as I grew up, I became more enamored with modern technology and forgot about the quill entirely.

It wasn't until I was in my mid-twenties that I rediscovered the quill. I was at a vintage market, browsing through old books and trinkets when I came across a beautiful quill pen. The feather was long and sleek, with just the right amount of give. I couldn't resist the urge to buy it.

For weeks, I played with the quill, dipping it into ink and practicing my handwriting. It was like rediscovering a lost art form. Writing with the quill was slow and deliberate, and it forced me to be more thoughtful about my words.

But as much as I enjoyed using the quill, I couldn't deny that it was impractical. Ink would often drip onto my hands or the paper, and I had to be careful not to smudge the words. It was also difficult to find high-quality ink that wouldn't bleed or fade over time.

In the end, I put the quill aside and returned to my trusty keyboard. It was faster and more efficient, but I couldn't help feeling like I was missing something. The quill had reminded me of the beauty and elegance of handwriting, and I didn't want to lose that entirely.

So, I made a compromise. I started incorporating more handwriting into my daily routine, using a fountain pen instead of a quill. It wasn't as romantic as the quill, but it was more practical and still allowed me to enjoy the art of handwriting.

Looking back on my experience with the quill, I realize that it taught me an important lesson. Sometimes, the old ways of doing things can be just as valuable as the new. It's important to strike a balance between tradition and innovation and to never forget the beauty of the past.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dancer's Flight

The Sharpear Enope Squid

Melodies of Linda Perry