Finding Forgiveness

"One person's experience of feeling penitent and seeking forgiveness for past mistakes."

In response to

Penitent – Word of the Day Challenge

Image from Sound Teaching


I have always considered myself a good person. I go to work, pay my bills, and treat others with kindness and respect. However, there was one particular incident that left me feeling penitent for a long time.

It happened a few years ago when I was driving home from work. I was in a rush, as usual, and wasn't paying much attention to my surroundings. Suddenly, I heard a loud thud and felt a jolt. I had hit someone's parked car.

My heart sank as I got out of my car to inspect the damage. The other car had a huge dent on the side, and I knew I was in trouble. I left a note with my contact information, but I couldn't shake off the feeling of guilt and shame.

Over the next few weeks, I couldn't stop thinking about what I had done. I knew I had to take responsibility for my mistake, but I didn't know where to start. Finally, I mustered up the courage to call the owner of the car and apologize.

To my surprise, the owner was very understanding and forgiving. They even thanked me for being honest and taking responsibility for my actions. It was a huge weight off my shoulders, but I still felt penitent for what I had done.

From that day on, I made a promise to myself to be more careful and mindful on the road. I also started practicing more acts of kindness and generosity towards others, as a way to make up for my mistake.

Looking back on that experience, I realize that being penitent doesn't mean wallowing in guilt or self-pity. It means taking responsibility for our actions and making things right, as best we can. It also means learning from our mistakes and striving to be better, kinder human beings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dancer's Flight

Melodies of Linda Perry

Window Gazing