Ladder to Danger

"When a ladder is found leaning against a wall, a detective must use all their skills to solve a seemingly simple burglary that turns out to be a part of a more significant, more dangerous plan."

Writing Prompt: Write a story about a detective who is tasked with solving a burglary but soon discovers that the break-in was just a cover-up for something much bigger.

In response to

The Unicorn Challenge – 31/03/23

The rules are:
Maximum of 250 words.
Based on photo prompt.

Image from Tales from Glasgow


As a detective, I've seen my fair share of break-ins, but something about this one just didn't sit right. A ladder positioned halfway against the wall of a house was a classic move to throw off authorities. But it wasn't enough to fool me.

I climbed up the ladder, slowly, cautiously. I reached the top, and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. There was someone up here with me. I saw a shadow move quickly across the rooftop, and before I could even draw my gun, they leaped off the edge and vanished into the darkness.

I knew I was dealing with a professional, and my instincts told me this was more than just a simple burglary. I had to investigate further.

As I examined the rooftop, I found a piece of evidence that confirmed my suspicions. This was no ordinary break-in. It was part of a larger scheme, one that would take all of my skills and training to unravel.

I made my way down the ladder, my mind racing with possibilities. Who was behind this? What was their endgame? And most importantly, how could I stop them?

As I drove away from the scene, I knew that I was in for a long, difficult road ahead. But I also knew that I was up to the task. I was a detective, after all. And nothing could stop me from solving this case.

Word count - 238

Comments

  1. Nothing like having a confident detective on the case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the start of a good mystery stor. Thank you for taking part. Hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An intriguing beginning to a mystery. I'm still leaning forward!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comment will be published after the approval.

Popular posts from this blog

Dancer's Flight

Melodies of Linda Perry

Window Gazing