The Unforeseen Ruler

"When life takes an unexpected turn, a person is forced to confront their innermost fears and desires."

Writing Prompt: Write a story from the point of view of someone who unexpectedly finds themselves in a position of power and responsibility.

In response to

Reena’s Xploration Challenge #274

Image from Art UK


Being in charge of hell was never what I had in mind when I was alive. In fact, I never believed in the concept of an afterlife, let alone one where I would be responsible for managing an entire realm of punishment and pain.

But here I was, standing at the gates of hell, with the weight of countless souls on my shoulders. At first, I was overwhelmed by the sheer magnitude of the task before me. How could I possibly oversee the suffering of so many people?

But as the days turned into weeks, and the weeks into months, I began to settle into my role. I learned the ins and outs of the underworld, and slowly but surely, I gained the respect of those around me.

I found myself developing a sense of pride in my work. As twisted as it may sound, there was a certain satisfaction in knowing that I was ensuring that those who deserved it were receiving their just punishment. And as time went on, I even began to develop a sense of compassion for those who found themselves in my domain.

Perhaps it was the fact that I had been given a second chance at life, albeit in a very different form, that allowed me to see things from a different perspective. Or maybe it was just the nature of the job, forcing me to confront the darkest parts of humanity daily.

Whatever the reason, being in charge of hell had changed me in ways that I never could have imagined. And as I looked out at the endless expanse of suffering before me, I knew that I was exactly where I was meant to be.

Comments

  1. The 'weight of countless souls' makes one realize what others have gone through. It can change perspectives. Jail authorities or those in-charge of remand homes can be examples.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comment will be published after the approval.

Popular posts from this blog

Dancer's Flight

Melodies of Linda Perry

Window Gazing